Thursday, February 28, 2008

cleaning out the cabinet

Until recently, my roomate and I only had 1 cabinet of food in our kitchen. Granted our kitchen is itsy-bitsy, the ratio of cooking utensils/prep-ware to the actual amount of food was comical.

About a month ago, we bought a fabulous hutch to put our dishes in, thus giving us back 1 1/2 cabinets. Despite my OCD nature, I hadn't really had any time to properly organized our newly acquired space....that us until today.

I was up at the crack of dawn and got right to work. While sorting the goods, I came across the bulgar wheat (I could have sworn I used it all up before), some dried cranberries, a few boxes of raisins, some dried mixed fruit, sesame seeds, organic clover honey, seaweed sheets for sushi rolls, and some sunflower seeds. Because they were all almost gone, I found myself annoyed. I didn't want to arrange my cabinet with a bunch of stuff that would be used up soon, leaving the cabinets again disorganized.

And so I began to think...what could I make? Well aside from the seaweed sheets, what about something warm for breakfast? Adding a few other basic ingredients, here is what I came up with:

Baked Fruited Bulgar Wheat

1 1/4 c. bulgar wheat
1 c. milk (vanilla soy, plain, or cow's milk)
1 egg
1TB melted margarine
1 TB honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 c brown sugar

* 1/3 c raisins
*1/3 c. dried cranberries
*1/3 c. chopped dried pineapple (unsweetened)
*1/4 c. sunflower seeds
*1/4 c. chopped Walnuts

Oven to 350
1. Whisk the melted margarine, egg, milk, vanilla, and honey in a large bowl.
2. Mix together bulgar wheat, cinnamon, baking powder, and sugar
3. Fold the dry mix into the egg mixture
4. Once folded, stir in the fruit, nuts, and seeds with a fork
5. Pour mixture into baking dish prepared with no-stick spray
6. Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes...avoid over drying.
7. Remove! Enjoy! Warm up!

Let me know your thoughts. Feedback always welcomed. :)

No comments: