Saturday, May 31, 2008

to quench ?or not to quench?


I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe, ironic as I'm a nurse, but somehow I manage. I never travel without my trusty hand sanitizer, I wear gloves on the subway in winter, and hold on with the crock of my elbow at all other times of the year. I never hold railings or escalator bars. I CLOROX wipe the telephone and keyboards at work and NEVER eat without a surgical scrub down of my hands.

Today, however, I found myself in a dilemma. A few miles into my run, I was dry...bone dry...my mouth was pasty and my gum stringy. I needed a drink. I thought about stopping and asking one of the vendors for a cup of ice, but remembered that this is New York and people just aren't that nice. So I pressed on.

But by the end of the 6th mile, I couldn't take it. I veered off course and went (yup, you guessed it) to the public water fountain. I couldn't get the water down fast enough, I kept gulping and gulping...it tasted so good. Refreshed ,I pulled away and trotted along, not bothing to wipe my face with my sweat laden shirt because of course that's dirty.

I finished out my run and passed another water fountain. I stopped in my tracks. My stomach turned. There, in front of me, was a homeless person washing their shirt in the fountain.

Ugh....I'm off to buy one of those ugly running belts.

Nurse Kelly + public fountains = no good.

No comments: