Sunday, January 27, 2008

Shopping Cart

Since moving to NY I have switched from shopping on large grocery stores to shopping in the small organic markets and specialty foods stores. Surprised? Sticker Shock? Well, believe it ot not, for the kinds of foods that I purchase and eat, it's cheaper for me to go to these smaller markets. Don't get me wrong, I still clip coupons (pretty dorky for a 23 year, hunh?), but I have also devised a system for conquering the money pit that is New York. I have my list of 4 Markets where I shop. When I first moved here I did some price comparisons and made up a little chart of who had the cheaper stuff. Now, I rotate my markets by the week, stocking up when non perishables are on sale, and taking advance of what little storage/cabinet space my cozy Manhattan apartment provides.

This little experiment of mine reminds me of the posters hanging at the checkout lines of Trader Joes. It's amazing how much money you can save with a little planning. I've tried really hard to avoid the impulse of running to the market to grab something, becuase let's face it, one thing turns into two things, which turns into a $40 cart worth of stuff you really didn't need and inevitably you forgot the one item that you actually went to purchase. But I digress...

I've always found it very interesting to ssee what others are buying at the store. No, I'm not a crazy stalker, but if food says anything about the person who is buying it, you can learn a lot.

Just what sort of things will you find in my cart? Here's some of my favorites:

Nasoya
8th Continent Light Soymilk
Tofu
Baby Carrots, Celery, Avocados, Eggplant, Tomato, Cucumbers, Baby Spinach, Poratbella Mushrooms
Apples, Navel Oranges, Green Grapes, Blueberries, Strawberries
Wasabi peas
Hummus
Better'n'Peanut Butter
Orange Marmalade Click this link to buy fresh from the NY farmers market. YUM!!
It's SOY delicious
Kashi Vive
Raisins
Frosted Mini Wheats
Just Veggies
Stevia
Eggs
Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cubes
Tofutti Chocolate Fudge Treats
Frosting (hey, I have a sweet tooth and there is nothing like a spoonful of sugary delight when you need a little *kick*)

So that's my cart. What does it say about me? And much like the Capital One saying, "What's in Your Cart?"


A Cowboy’s Wife is having a contest on her food blog! You can win a Hamilton Beach® Stand Mixer and she’ll ship anywhere so everyone is eligible! Enter to win at MyWoodenSpoonDOTcom

2 comments:

Oonie said...

Hey, this list would have been helpful three weeks ago... :-) But I'm still glad to have it. Some stuff I haven't tried.
You know what's in my cart...light Chocolate Silk and goldfish!

Unknown said...

Hey Kelly, We are working on cleaning up our backlink portfolio. Would you please remove the link to Beths Farm Kitchen on this story? Thanks: http://citymousecountrymouse.blogspot.com/2008/01/shopping-cart.html

I believe it's on the orange marmalade link.