Thursday, September 25, 2008

Four Foods on Friday

I think I've missed the last two weeks, glad to be back at this. Click here to join in on the fun. Here are this week's questions:

#1. Melon. What’s your favorite kind?
Watermelon. So refreshing.

#2. Orange citrus. What’s your favorite - oranges, nectarines, navel oranges, tangerines, etc.
Oranges. I love the fruit, but I'm not a fan of orange jucie

#3. Oreos. What kind is your favorite? (Don’t eat Oreos? What about olives?)
I rarely eat them, but when I do it's only eat the middle, so it has to be double stuffed.

#4. Pot pie. Share a recipe. (No pot pie recipe? What about a casserole or some other hot meal you bake?)
I've published this one before.

Vegetable Pie
- 1TB organic extra virgin olive oil
-1 c. canned organic soybeans
-1 c. organic carrots, diced
-1 c. organic onion, chopped
-1 c. organic sweet corn (1 large ear stripped of kernals)
-1 c. organic broccoli, chopped-
-1 c. organic red bell pepper, diced
-1 lb fresh organic spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
-2 cloves organic garlic, peeled and chopped
-1 tsp nutmeg
-sea salt, to taste
-ground black pepper, to taste
-1/2 c. organic pecans, chopped (optional)
-2 frozen pie crusts, or recipe for two-crust pie
-1 c. grated mozzarella cheese or cheese substitute
-2 tsp organic sesame seeds
Sauté vegetables in olive oil until tender-crisp. Add garlic, nutmeg, salt, pepper and pecans. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until the flavors blend.
Oven: 350 degrees for 20–30 minutes or until the crust turns brown. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.

1) Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with one prepared crust.
2) layer the vegetables with the cheese beginning with the cheese and ending with the vegetables.
3) Top with another crust, seal with a fork and trim excess pie dough. With a sharp knife, poke vent holes in the top of the crust. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds.

5 comments:

Anele said...

YES! Another double stuff girl! You dunk that in milk and let all the bubbles escape and you've got a soggy treat! :)

Suzi said...

I misread #3 and thought you were talking about olives. I was thinking, wow, this lady really loves her pimentos!

Your veggie pie sounds yummy.

Tina Kubala said...

I don't do much orange juice either. Not so much the taste, but I can't deal with all that acid.

Karen said...

Orange juice messes up my stomach and makes those little bumps on my tongue that hurt. I like the flavor but don't drink it very often.

Sheri/Cookingmom said...

It's funny that so many participating in this don't like orange juice. For me, it's the texture. Sometimes it's just too thick for me, even without the pulp.