Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I've been MEMED

Okay, since I’ve been tagged by Anjali, here it goes…

Number of books I own:

Well before I moved to my miniscule (compact) fabulous NY pad, I probably owned over 200 books. Although some were for pleasure, others not so much i.e. Principals of Advanced Anatomy and Physiology, Advanced Chemical Concepts, etc, my book shelves were sagging. However, with the move, I donated many of them to a book return and for more than $800 worth of books, I think I got about $50. Oh well, I hope other get as much joy out of them as I did. Here in NY, my book collection is scant. I am a huge fan of the library, although it’s a bummer that I can’t get the latest releases, I suppose I don’t have THAT much time to read right now anyways… But in the end, the books that I kept (and will forever keep) are my cook books, with their folded pages, helpful comments, splotches of the recipe dotted amongst the pages. Ahh yes, looking though those books brings back memories of the meals shared and stories of great company.

Last book I read:


I’m embarrassed to admit it, but it was Double Cross by James Patterson. I wish I could attest to something of greater substance, but I love the mindless, easy reads. However, the last real book I read was the Kite Runner. Excellent book, slow in a few parts, but nevertheless a book that makes you be thankful for what you do have, and even more thankful for what you don’t.

Last book I bought:
Love in the Time of Cholera. Actually, I didn’t buy it. My roommate’s company is producing this movie, so she gave me a copy (ahh the perks just keep on coming, thanks amy!). I fully intend to read it BEFORE the movie comes out. And when I do, I’ll be sure to pass along my thoughts.

5 Meaningful Books

Well, these books have been particularly meaningful in my life.
The Old Man and the Afternoon Cat- my dad used to read it to me before I went to bed. I can still remember nights, even with the shelves and shelves of books that I had in my ‘library’, where after going through dozens of options, I would always default to this favorite.

My Sister’s Keeper- the first book that I read after fall semester’s final exams sophomore year. Despite having been reading my notes/textbooks/power point presentations for the two weeks straight, I managed to read this entire book in three hours, with tears rolling down my cheeks, and realizing that the ethics class I had sat through the previous semester had truly enhanced my life and the way I view the world.

Full Lives- life isn’t about what the scale says, it’s about what you make of it. If you waste too much time striving for a number, you’ll miss out on too much of the meaningful stuff

The Great Gatsby- it’s amazing how one book can elicit so many things to so many people. I will never forget the discussions of this book in my 10th grade English class. Mrs. B was am amazing facilitator and we all learned so much about each other’s beliefs that I actually felt as if I grew, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually, after reading this book.

Number the Stars
- I didn’t understand the magnitude of the holocaust until I read this book in 4th grade. It was the first time that I saw how war and hate could affect someone my age. To quote Oprah, reading this book was one of my life’s “Ah-ha! Moments”

Now you now a little bit more about my literary background, so why don’t you share a little bit about yours??

No comments: