Saturday, December 30, 2006

the gift that keep on (getting re-given)

Greetings, greetings, happy holidays, merry christmas, happy hannukah, happy kwanza, and a merry winter solstice. Ok, enough of the salutations, onto the good stuff.
I know, at least in my family, that every year there is at least one christmas gift that is a multiple...this year it tured out to be a meat thermometer fork for my dad (he got 3 of them). He thought it was funny, I thought it was sad that he didn't realize that we were nicely trying to tell him that he either serves the food still bleeding or as something that more closely resembeles shoe leather.

And then there are the emotional cover ups when gifts are opened. This year, I take the cake. I guess any gift that is prefaced by my Aunt Betty(her heart is in the right place, but the level of taste has not surfaced) with, "Now, there is a story bheing this gift. I bought it, retunred it, and bought it again. I mean I LOVE it, but I know that you aren't me and that I have my own unique sense of taste, but really I Think you'll love it. If not, I kept the tags on it, feel free to return it, but I do think you will love it..." was boudn to be interesteing when opened. And interesting it was. LAdies and gentlemen, may I describe the faux leather (97% PVC, yes people that's what plumbing pipe is made out of) silver purse in the shape of a squished banana with glittery tassles and a odd nickle colored buckle and zipper. "Wow, this is.....different....I don't think I have ever seen anything like this," I mangaed to spit out, all the while pursing my lips and faking a smile. Okay, I admit it, it was a bad cover up, but the purse was just so bad. But the best part of the story is that she cut the tags off, so I couldn't even return it. Now I feel like I need to defend myself here and say that I could care less about the money or even getting somethign else, I know that she bought it with the best intentions, she has a heart of gold, I guess we just dont have the same sense of style. Anyways, she ended my buying my sister something that needed to be exchanged and she mentioned that the purse was on the same recipt. Okay I Thought, I'll just exchange it for a different one. WRONG! She only paid $7.50 for the purse. I guess when she bought itm, returned it, and rebought it, it was well intot he xmas season of discounts and coupons. Oh well, I took the $7.50 and bought myself some new undies (or rather 1 pair, but hey).

On another semi related note, a few days later, while browsing with my mom at Bloomingdales, I saw it. The perfect winter purse. And so I bought it. My mom insited that there was no reason not to, and I- being in a funk knowing that I needed to head back to sschool in a few days, thought that I desereved it (and that somehow it would make my life better). Well my life is still the same, but at least now I am carrying my "baggage" in style.

No comments: