Friday, June 15, 2007

all that and a gallon of milk

I am going out of my mind here people. I have been home for 9 days. It's agony. Now don't get me wrong, I love my family, I am thrilled by the birds and greenery that surrounds me, I love taking my 85 pound golden retriever for walks (or maybe he takes me for walks), and it's great catching up with old classmates, friends, etc...but I loathe having to drive everywhere. The past four years have spoiled me. I could walk to the movie theater, the grocery store, the gap, even Trader Joe's for god's sake! But here I am, living the suburban dream, and simultaneously draining my bank account.

Today my mom asked me to run to the store and pick up a few items. I must have looked at her like she had ten heads when she asked me, but I swear she had just been to the store (and indeed she had, but she "forgot" a few items). So I climbed into the "Virgy" and drove off, only to realize that I needed gas big time. Knowing the time of day, the path that the school busses take, and the general soccer mom rush to the athletic fields, I took the cut through to the grocery store and figured that I'd get the gas on the way home...at least I wouldn't have to turn against the traffic.

Perusing the isles,I grabbed the items my mom requested: carrots (the baby ones, god forbid we not have the *diet* treat for the dog), minced garlic, hummus, eggs, blueberries, and milk. As I walked up to the milk section I was overwhelmed. I'm so used to grabbing my soy milk, that I had to glance around for the skim milk that my family drinks. So many options...Calcium fortified, Vitamin D + Calcium, Fiber plus (for milk, seriously?), Plastic Bottle, Glass Bottle, organic. I went with the organic. Then I just happen to glance down at the prices. $3.09. Okay, I guess their bones are worth it, I thought.
I cashed out, loaded up my car, and took off for the gas station (by this point my gas light was on and it was making that obnoxious "ding"..."ding"..."ding"; just in case I wasn't aware that I was running on fumes).

Apparently I wasn't the only one who needed gas, the line was 5 cars deep (oh well, if I'm going to run out of gas, this was the place for it to happen). As I waited in line I looked up at the sign, "$3.39". Holy crap I thought, gas now costs more than milk. Wait on second thought, next time my mom sends me to the store, I'm not buying milk, I'm going to a cow....and then I'll ride it home.

No comments: