Saturday, August 29, 2009

730 Days of Being A Nurse (and counting)

I've now been a nurse for a little over two years. There were times when I wanted to quit, run away, and get a cushy job (like a M-F 9 to 5 gig) but Sucked it, put my big panties on, and stuck it out. I'm glad I did. As of late, my role is much more than "just a nurse"-some of which I like, others not so much.

1. I'm a preceptor . The nurse managers and the nurse educator approached me, and said that there was a particular new grad who was really struggling with time management and attention to details. They thought that I would be the perfect preceptor for her because I'm not only efficient and organized, but I'm also calm and patient. At first I was flattered, but once I met my little "project" I really wished I wasn't so anal retentive and organized. I struggle with how disorganized and flaky she acts, but I never raise my voice. I constantly have to focus her and prompt her to prioritize patient needs. She is making small strides, but progress none the less. If nothing else, I've learned a lot about my self.

2. I was recommended by my managers to become a senior staff nurse. My application, performance improvement project, committee involvement, and inservice lesson plans are being submitted on Tuesday.

3. I advocate for my patients no matter what.
I called for a palliative care consult on a patient with lung cancer that metastasized to the bone and brain who subsequently sustained 3rd burns to 65% of her body. The resident told me that I had no night to go over the burn services authority. I pulled up the policy on WHO can make a palliative care referral and under What grounds. Guess who was right? Me. The family thanked me and the attending said on rounds, this consult was a smart idea.

4. My coworkers asked me if I would be interested in being a permanent charge nurse. Dear friends,< that would have to be a big pay raise hell no!


Life may be crazy. but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

No comments: