Sunday, November 23, 2008

Taste of Something New

Maybe it's because it's almost Thanksgiving, or maybe because it's chilly outside, or maybe because I've had two days off in a row (cue to choirs!!), but whatever the reason I've been playing with the foods inside my pantry food cabinet. I had a can of pumpkin, a bag of craisins, and some rice that I wanted to use.

Here's what I created...

Pumpkin Cranberry Risotto

1 onion. diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp margarine
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup craisins

Mix pumpkin, orange zest, and maple syrup and place into 350 degree over for 20 minutes.
Sautee the onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft.
Add the rice. Allow to cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Slowly add the wine- CAREFUL when pouring alcohol onto heat.
Add the vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allow the moisture to cook off before adding the next 1/2 cup. Stir frequently. Add in salt and pepper.
Once all the liquid has been added, fold in pumpkin mixture, nutmeg, margarine, and craisins.

Enjoy!

No comments: